ORANGE COUNTY, N.Y. -- Sangria may look easy -- a little wine, a little fruit, a filled-to-the-rim pitcher, but in reality, it's all about balance.
Come summer, it's also all about what's refreshing, without too much sweetness. We've rounded up some of the best sangrias in the county; feel free to add your own on our Facebook page or in our comments.
- Applebee’s, Woodbury Commons: This popular chain offers three kinds of sangria: Watermelon (with Bella Sera Moscato, DeKuyper Watermelon Pucker and Ocean Spray cranberry juice), Blackberry (with Sutter Home Cabernet, Cointreau, blackberry, orange and lime) and Red Apple (Sutter Home Cabernet, DeKuyper Red Apple, Ocean Spray cranberry juice, pineapple juice and fresh fruit). All the sangrias come in "mucho size;" Applebee’s does not sell pitchers.
- Avocado, Cornwall: Get in a fiesta mood at this Mexican favorite with a tall glass of either red or white sangria. Or opt for a sangrita for that "party" mood.
- Black Dirt Bourbon Barn, Woodbury Commons: This subsidiary of Warwick Valley Winery is a stand-alone bar that serves sangria on tap.The Barn makes its sangria with its Black Dirt Red Wine, then carbonates and kegs it. The Barn’s Happy Hour All Day specials change daily but it does feature sangria a few times a week. Regular price is $7 for a 12-ounce glass and $9 for an 18-ounce glass. Anyone who mentions this Daily Voice article can get $1 off either size. (The sangria is also available at the Warwick Valley Winery tasting room. But the $1 discount applies to Woodbury Common only. It is only available until the end of September.)
- Chapala Grill, New Windsor: Dig into chunky guacamole and chips with your choice of red or white sangria and feel the stress of the week melt away.
- Cilantro Tapas & Bar, New Windsor: In the mood for tapas? Latin American fare shines on the menu here where a ruby red glass of red sangria makes the ideal cocktail pairing.
- El Meson De Barajas, Goshen: Classics rule at this Mexican charmer -- you'll find both red and white sangria. PS: frozen margaritas also reign supreme.
- El Patron Mexican Restaurant, Port Jervis: Sure, you can go for the white or red sangria but why not be adventurous when there are pineapple and peach varieties to explore? Either way, the cocktails go smoothly with the authentic Mexican fare.
- El Tapatio, Middletown : Expect the classic red here along with a variety of burritos and tacos.
- Hacienda Restaurant, Goshen: Opt for a glass of red or white sangria, a pitcher or a half pitcher: the choices allow you to sample both easily.
- Pamela's On The Hudson, Newburgh: Red and white sangria are a constant on the menu but come Wednesdays and Thursdays, the eatery features $10 pitchers.
- The River Grill, Newburgh : Summer feels like it will last forever when you indulge in the red and white sangria, loaded with chunks of fresh fruit.
- Warwick Winery, Warwick : The tasting room isn't just for wine. There's also red sangria.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.